Insulation and Air Sealing Services
DO YOU NEED MORE INSULATION?
If you have the following problems, you may need more insulation:
- Ice dams and icicles
- Insulation installed more than 20 years ago
- An insufficient amount of insulation
- Cold or drafty rooms
- Cold floors over crawlspaces or unfinished rooms
- Higher than normal utility bills
For an efficient home that isn't costing you a fortune in heating and cooling bills, you should insulate any surface separating conditioned and unconditioned space, whether it's a basement ceiling, wall, or attic floor, to keep your energy where it belongs. If you have ice dams and icicles, it's easy to see the heat escaping -- you know your insulation needs some work. What many people don't realize, though, is that their existing insulation has deteriorated due to age, moisture, rodents, or compression and needs to be replaced. For a free, no obligation consult to assess your insulation needs, call us at 888-840-6641 or have us call you.
We use several types of insulation for both their high R-Value (their level of thermal resistance, or insulating capability) and their resistance to the elements and deterioration.
SPRAY FOAM INSULATION
- Air seals and insulates in a single step
- Bonds to almost any surface
- Does not sag, settle or deteriorate
- Controls moisture and air flow
- Does not promote mold growth
- Has been in use for more than 50 years
CLOSED CELL SPRAY FOAM
- Recommended for foundation walls, basement ceilings, and crawl spaces
- Highly adhesive, repels moisture and seals out infiltrating air
- At r-7 per inch, closed cell spray foam has the highest r-value per inch of all insulating products
- Provides excellent air sealing for rim joists and band joists
, Chicagoland Spray Foam
, Chicago Closed Cell Spray Foam Insulation In Wall
, CC BY-SA 3.0
R C. - Sheffield, MANovember 16, 2016
These guys are great. We had an energy audit done on our new house and these guys came out shortly afterwards to install insulation around our rim joists. We found them to be careful, courteous, and communicative. If they thought they could have done something better than what we proposed, they approached me and asked if it was ok and we said go ahead and do it. They sealed off our old dirt floor in our basement and meticulously put Poly-iso in the rim joists with spray foam to seal it. They even foamed every little hole in the basement that was going upstairs or outside. Our neighbors had them come out a couple months later and we know that they were very pleased as well. If I ever have the opportunity to hire The Energy Store again - we will certainly be happy to do that.
MINERAL WOOL INSULATION (ROXUL):
- Made from natural stone and recycled slag melted at high temperatures and spun into fibers
- Replaces traditional fiberglass batts in walls and basement ceilings
- Won't sag or settle
- High density and high R-value
- Less prone to absorbing moisture: a great option for damp spaces
- Sound deadening and fire resistant
- Environmentally friendly and inexpensive insulation option
- Made with 85% recycled paper fibers and treated with natural fire retardants and insect repellents
- Provides a great barrier against air infiltration
- Can either be blown across attic floors or dense packed into walls and ceilings
, Bulk recycled cellulose
, CC BY-SA 3.0
"Pink fiberglass winter wonderland" (CC BY 2.0) by mikemol
- This form of insulation is hypoallergenic
- Made from spun sand and recycled glass
- Modern loose-fill fiberglass has no formaldehyde, which means no itchiness or rashes
Air sealing is the cornerstone of your entire home's performance. The way that walls are constructed, the tops of your walls have gaps. Without sealing those top plates before we insulate, your insulation would only do half the job it's supposed to, which is why we automatically include this in every job. Think of air leaks in your home as leaks in a ship--you wouldn't add a new engine to your boat before patching the leaks. Home performance should be viewed the same way, with air sealing being the first step towards solving comfort and efficiency issues within your home.
Working with The Energy Store may make you eligible for rebates on insulation -- ask us about it!
To learn more about any of our air sealing and insulation services or to schedule an energy assessment, contact us today!